Moderation is a set of processes designed and implemented by the ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies to:
- provide system wide comparability of grades and scores derived from college-based assessment
- form the basis for valid and reliable assessment in senior secondary colleges
- maintain the quality of college-based assessment and the credibility, validity and acceptability of Board certificates.
The ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies (ACT BSSS) uses two methods to ensure that these goals are achieved:
- Qualitative moderation to ensure comparability of grades, and
- Statistical moderation to ensure comparability of course scores for the use of calculating the ATAR. For more information please go to Scaling and the ATAR
Further information on Moderation in the ACT can be found in the following booklet: