Overseas Educational Equivalence

People with completed secondary educational qualifications gained overseas may apply to the Board Secretariat office to have their qualifications assessed. The assessment does not give the applicant a new certificate or diploma: the applicant is issued with a statement giving the equivalent Australian Capital Territory standard of her/his educational qualifications.

Which qualifications are not recognised?

  • Incomplete studies
  • Awards gained from post-secondary studies, e.g. certificates of adult preparation
  • Awards from private institutions not recognised by educational authorities in the country of origin
  • Technical, professional, trade qualifications that are not part of secondary studies.

How do I apply?

In person to the Board Secretariat Office, located at:
Callam Offices
Easty Street
Building B, Level 1 (Lift 2)

What documentation is required?

  • Certificate(s) of the qualification – in original language and certified English translation. Bring the originals with you.
  • Proof of name change (if applicable)
  • Photo identification


The charge for this service is itemised on the Application for Equivalence Form.

More information
Telephone enquiries may be directed to:
Equivalence Officer
ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies
Tel: + 61 02 6205 9167